Living in Korea, July 2023
Updated: Sep 5
Korea 101: Associations and Clubs
YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association) is a worldwide Christian lay movement. Founded in London, England in 1844, it now serves more than 10,000 social movement organizations in more than 120 countries around the world. Seoul YMCA is located in Jongno-gu, Seoul and is currently focused on youth movement including education and cultural projects customized for them. YMCA is a highly recognized organization with about 30 million members across the world.
Address: 69 Jongno, Jongno-gu, Seoul
2. Rotary Club
Rotary International carried out a wide range of activities for the global community placing particular emphasis on combating polio and providing clean drinking water. With 35,000 local clubs, it boasts more than 1.2 million members across the world. It is a highly recognized international organization where people from different regional, business and occupational backgrounds get together not only to socialize among themselves but also make contributions to the entire global community.
Currently, the dues are USD 53 per person. Though different from country to country, 4-14 percent of the dues goes to Rotary International. The rest is used by Rotary clubs and districts for operating costs, food expenses, and subscription fees for the Rotarian magazine and other publications.
Address: Rm. 930 Royal Building, 19 Saemunan-ro 5-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul
3. Lions Club
Lions Clubs International has more than 1.3 million members in 45,000 clubs in 205 countries. Its main purpose is to serve the interests of the international community and the local community. Since its founding in 1917, the organization has been involved in a variety of activities such areas as education, environment, public interests, volunteering and health services. Currently Seoul has 88 clubs. Lions clubs classify their membership into active, affiliate, honorary, life, member-at-large, privileged, and associate members, whose subscription fees and qualifications differ depending on those categories. For details, please visit the website.
Address: 3F Lions Building 455 Cheonho-daero, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul
💡TIP Curious about your expat gatherings?
Visit ‘Korea4expats.com’ should you want to join a group with a specific purpose other than the ones listed above, or if you want to find your expat community in Korea.
This site introduces a number of social gatherings by country, purpose and interest. You can check an overview of the groups along with their website and e-mail address.
Korea Unique Venue
Discover the unique beauty of diverse regions throughout Korea.
Every month, in cooperation with the Korea Tourism Industry (KTO), Invest KOREA features one unique region in Korea as an ideal venue for corporate meetings, international conventions, and incentive travels. Read on to find out more on the KTO’s Korea Unique Venue initiatives and plan your next visit to Korea!
✔️What is KOREA UNIQUE VENUE?
The MICE industry is celebrated as the “golden industry without limits” of the 4th Industrial Revolution Era. With the growth of this industry, MICE venues are increasing in variety. Nowadays, corporations and institutions, which have preferred large scale convention centers in the past, are increasingly seeking out special places and experiences, or “unique venues” that showcase traditional local cultures and regional characteristics.
The Korea Tourism Organization regularly selects and promotes such unique venues that can be found all throughout the country—places with a distinct Korean charm that captivate its visitors. After various studies and evaluations on the suitability of the purpose, scale, and size of various events and meetings, the KTO has selected 39 of Korea’s unique venues to fit your various needs.
These 39 “KOREA Unique Venues,” which demonstrate the special characteristics of its respective region, are bound to add color to your events and provide visitors with experiences and memories beyond expectations. Korea’s doors are wide open for you to experience the country’s culture and beauty to their fullest.
✔️Incentives for Organizers
Subjects of incentive support for international meetings (event hosting/global PR and event hosting support)
Common Conditions :
1. Meetings hosted by international organizations or members of the international organizations, or legal entities & groups which are part of international organizations that fulfill ALL of the following conditions. - Foreigners from at least 5 or more countries shall participate in the meetings. - Total number of meetings participants shall be at least 300 or more and foreign participants shall be at least 100 or more. - The duration of the meetings shall be at least 3 days or longer.
2. Meetings hosted by legal entities & groups which are not a part of international organizations that fulfill ALL of the following conditions. - Among the meeting participants, total number of foreign participants shall be at least 150 or more. - The duration of the meetings shall be at least 2 days or longer.
Subjects of incentive support for corporate meetings/incentive tours
Common Conditions :
1. Visitors should stay in Korea for at least 2 days or longer. * “NOT” applicable for hobby clubs, fan clubs, religious organizations, government officials’ groups, and/or student groups.
2. Among the participants, total number of foreign participants shall be at least 10 or more.
Additional Conditions :
1. Incentive Tour: Incentive Tour Groups (as performance awards), with sponsoring corporations paying for all of tour related expenses for visiting Korea.
2. Corporate meetings: Groups of people who are visiting Korea for meetings hosted by specific corporations for the express purpose of meetings or travels
* Meetings with at least 4 hours or longer shall be included in the official schedule.
* For further details, please visit the K-MICE website at https://k-mice.visitkorea.or.kr.
Nodeul Island, Seoul
Nodeul Island is a global art island, located in the middle of Hangang Bridge, where music and art coexist within a “Cultural Complex Infrastructure”. Nodeul Island is the perfect place with great facilities for various international meetings, concerts, and colorful cultural activities.
Venue & Rental Information
Address: 445 Yangnyeong-ro, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Korea
Phone Number: +82-2-749-4500
Major Events Held in Recent Years: 2020 Korea Gender Equality Forum, MU:CON ONLINE 2020 / The 27th Environment Day Commemorative Event (2022)/ H.eco Forum 2022: ‘Climate Crisis and the Ocean (2022)’
Source: Korea Tourism Organization, “2022 KOREA Unique Venue”
*This article is extracted from Invest KOREA Publications, 2022.